Dutch Amond Cookies

Friday 15 December 2017





This lovely cookie is one which I bake every year for Christmas.  I have been baking it for years and years and years!  


I believe the original recipe was a first prize winner in a cookie contest in Canadian Living magazine, but I can't remember for sure.  All I know for sure is that they are definitely prize worthy, as they are that delicious!







They begin with a simple almond flavoured  brown sugar cookie dough.  Easy peasy.








An almond filling is made using blanched almonds, sugar, an egg yolks and some more flavouring in the way of lemon juice and almond extract.









The cookie dough gets rolled into 1 inch balls and you make an indentation in them with your finger tip.  Not a large one  . . .








just large enough to hold a tiny bit of that almond filling, which then gets covered over and tucked inside by the covering of another tiny pinch of that cookie dough.  A little roll between your palm's seals it in nice and safe . . .








An egg white glaze and a blanched almond on top and they are ready for baking  . . . 15 minutes later you are rewarded with delicious almond cookies!! 



 




Sure, they are a tiny bit more effort than a drop and bake cookie, but hey!  It's Christmas and a little bit of something special warranted!  They are worth every little effort!











*Dutch Almond Cookies*
Makes about 5 dozen

I have been making these lovely almond cookies every Christmas since my children were small.  They are delicious! 

250g butter, softened (1 cup)
400g soft light brown sugar (2 cups packed)
2 medium free range eggs
1 tsp almond extract
490g plain flour (3 1/2 cups)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

For the filling:
42g whole blanched almonds (1/4 cup)
50g granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
1 medium free range egg yolk
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp almond extract
You will also need:
1 medium free range egg white, lightly beaten
85g whole blanched almonds (1/2 cup)






Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time along with the almond extract. Sift together the flour, salt, soda and baking powder.  Stir this into the creamed mixture until well blended.  Cover and chill for about an hour. 


Put the ingredients for the filling into a small blender/processor.  Blitz until smooth. 


Preheat the oven 160*C/325*F gas mark 3.  Butter several large baking sheets. 


For each cookie take a spoonful of th dough and roll into a 1-inch ball. With a finger make an indentation into the centre of the ball, the. fill with about 1/4 tsp of the filling.  Pinch off more dough about the size of a pea.  Flatten and use this to cover the filling.  Gently roll again in the palms of your hands to seal and smooth edges, Place onto the baking sheet.  Repeat with remaining dough placing the filled balls 2 inches apart.  Brush the tops with some of the beaten egg white and gently press a whole almond into the top of each. 


Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.  Scoop off to cool on wire racks.  Store in an airtight container. 






These have lovely crisp edges and chewy middles.  I have never had anyone eat one that didn't want another one immediately after!!  Bon Appetit and Happy Holidays!  








15 comments

  1. Thanks so much for this. I’ll be spending time looking at all the links as well. Having just started my food blog homemade yorkshire puddings, this is more helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! Sorry I have only just gotten this comment. I hope you are having a good Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I bet they are fabulously almondy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love almond! These sound wonderful!

    I have all the ingredients for both your fudges (peanut butter and chocolate wreath -- though I'll probably not do it as a wreath. Or maybe as a mini-wreath to share.) Anyway, looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be warned, you cannot eat just one Jeanie! xo

      Delete
    2. I didn't really want to share these cookies with anyone.

      Delete
    3. I'm not surprised! They are a real favourite here also!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to find these! I used to make them way back (Canadian Living 1991) and had lost the recipe. Thank you for sharing them! They are so tasty and my family and friends will be happy to see their return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best almond cookie ever! I hope you enjoy them! You are welcome! xo

      Delete
    2. She is not lying or even fibbing a little! These are yummy.

      Delete
  5. This has become one of my favorite cookies! I love them and I too do not want to share these. Is that mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT means that you have discovered one of the best and tastiest cookies on the planet Harley! Happy you are enjoying them! Do share them however as a pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!