Easy Burger Buns

Tuesday 15 August 2017


Ever since I found my bread baking mojo a few weeks ago I have been making and baking my own bread, much to Todd's delight!  The other day I tried making my own Burger buns!


I had been sent some lovely frozen Quinoa and Kale Burgers to try out and I wanted to make my own buns to go with it and did a search, coming up with this recipe for Vegan Burger Buns with Poppyseeds on a site called the Greedy Vegan.


Which I then adapted to use for us. We are not Vegans so using Vegan ingredients was not necessary for us.  I figured out my own non-vegan ingredients.  Also her North American measurements were quite a bit off, so I have given the proper ones here.  If you are a vegan do use her ingredients . . .


But if you are a North American, use my measurements.  They are spot on.


These are great burger buns!  They turned out beautiful and just perfect for what I wanted!  We've been enjoying them in the days since with butter and cheese and all sorts.  Yummy!


As you can see they had the perfect texture!  Just gorgeous!  I will be making these again!


*Easy Burger Buns*
Makes 8 nice sized buns
These are beautiful buns.  Simple to make and very tasty too!  Soft and delicious!


560g strong bread flour (4 cups)
350ml warm water (scant 1 1/2 cups)
2 1/4 tsp easy bake yeast (for the bread machine)
2 TBS softened butter
2 TBS sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt


To glaze:
2 TBS milk
1 tsp mild mustard
1 tsp golden syrup or corn syrup


You will also need:
1 1/2 TBS poppy seeds


Measure the warm water into a bowl along with the sugar.  Stir in the yeast and leave to sit for about 5 or 6 minute, until foamy.   Stir in half the flour, the softened butter and the salt to make a soft sticky dough.  Tip out onto a lightly floured board and add the remaining flour a bit at a time, kneading it in and only adding as much as you need to give you a soft smooth dough that doesn't stick. Shape into a smooth ball.  Clean the bowl and lightly grease.  Place the ball of dough into the bowl, turning to coat with grease.  Cover with plastic cling film and leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour.  It should have doubled in size.  Tip out onto a lightly floured board and punch down to get out any air bubbles.  Divide into 8 equal amounts and shape each into a flattish ball.  Place onto a large baking sheet which you have lined with baking paper.  Cover with a tea towl and set aside to rise for another 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.

Whisk together the milk, mustard and syrup.  Brush this over the tops of the buns carefully and sprinkle with the poppyseeds.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes until a nice dark golden brown all over.  They should be cooked through and lightly brown on the bottoms.

Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before using.   


We had them with some really tasty Kale and Quinoa Burgers and some Oven Baked Sweet Potato fries that I had been sent to try out from the people at Strong Roots!



We love Sweet Potato Fries in this house.  I would rather have a sweet potato fry than a regular one any day of the week.  The only problem with making your own at home, is that they are more often than not limp.  Tasty, but limp and that can be true of a lot of frozen ones also. The Strong Roots company, an Irish Company,  have come up with a beautiful frozen sweet potato fry!  I am not surprised that they were Great Taste Award Winners for 2016!



Their oven baked sweet potatoes are made using the best varieties of sweet potato from the best growers of sweet potato in the world. They have been specially produced with a Gluten-Free rice flour batter. They have also discovered the best way to give you a firmer and crisp fry with a real sweet potato taste.

• Gluten Free.
• Low Saturated Fat.
• Low Salt.
• Source of Fiber.



They also sent me some Quinoa and Kale Burgers to try.  I've never been a fan of Quinoa, but I am always keen to try something new!


 The Strong Roots Kale and Quinoa Burgers are a vegan friendly, low sugar and a low saturated fat alternative for your meals. With a crisp quinoa crust, mixed vegetables and no-artificial flavours, they bake to a tasty and crisp burger, and are suitable for a variety of uses such as a starter, a side or simply as a burger in a bun!  They actually had lovely bits of carrot and edamame beans in them.


I served them on my home made buns and they were so delicious.   I added some mixed rocket/spinach and watercress leaves, some mayo and sliced tomato.



Just look at how crisp those sweet potato fries were!  I can tell you with all honesty, that these were the best frozen bake at home sweet potato fries I have ever eaten!
Altogether we both enjoyed these products very much! They are something which I would be quite happy to buy! 



The Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Kale & Quinoa Burgers are both available at Waitrose and the whole range which also includes the Garlic Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes and Ripened Frozen Avocado Halves are available at Whole Foods.

Strong Roots Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries (RRP £2.99)
& Quinoa Burgers (RRP £2.99)

Many thanks to Strong Roots for sending me these products to try.  I will write about the Sweet Potato Cubes and Frozen Avocado halves on another day.  Although I have been sent these products for free, I was not required to write a positive review.  I can say with impunity, and all honesty that these are great products. I love it when that happens!  Bon Appetit!


2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!