Chicken Enchilada Bake

Friday 10 June 2016



I confess to having a certain fondness for Mexican food.  I have never been to Mexico actually, no even close, but I do love the flavours of that type of cuisine   Now I don't want purists messaging me here telling me that this is nothing like Mexican food.  This may well be true, but this is what I know as Mexican and this is what I like, and well . . .  it's my kitchen, afterall!




This casserole is much simpler to make than traditional enchiladas.  I have adapted the recipe from one which I discovered on Whats Gaby Cooking.  It looked so delicious that I wanted to try it.  I have taken the liberty of using already poached chicken and changing out a few steps . . .




But that is what cooking is all about isn't it?  Finding inspiration and then using that inspiration to create something delicious depending on what is available and what you like or don't like . . .




I always have poached chicken on hand.  I use it all the time.  I probably poach a whole chicken every week., or a bag of chicken breasts or thighs, a mixture, etc.   Its a very versatile ingredient to have and it works well in impromptu salads, sandwiches and quick suppers like this!





*Chicken Enchilada Bake*
Serves 6 

Simple to make and soooooo delicious.  Even the leftovers are fabulously tasty. 

3 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
1 jar of Enchilada sauce
(I used Discovery, and sprinkled the seasoning mix included over the chicken, tossing it to coat all together)
1 TBS oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp chipotle chili in adobe paste
1 400g (14 oz) tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 198g (about 1/2 cup) tin of sweet corn, drained
(Or the equivalent in either frozen or fresh, thawed if frozen)
6 corn tortillas
1 bag of grated four cheese mix (About 3 cups)
(I use the jack, mozzarella, edam and cheddar mix)
To serve:
chopped spring onions
sour cream





Heat the oil in a skillet.  Add the onions and peppers.  Cook stirring until softened.  Add the enchilada sauce and chipotle chili.  Simmer together for five minutes.


Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a deep 9 inch pie dish.   Spoon a bit of the enchilada sauce on the bottom. Top with three tortillas, overlapping slightly in the centre.  Top with half the chicken, half of the beans and corn, half of the remaining enchilada sauce and half the cheese.  Repeat the layers, ending with cheese.


Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until heated through and bubbling.


Scatter chopped spring onions on top.  Serve spooned out with sour cream for dolloping and additional spring onions for sprinkling.  Delicious!




This was really, really, REALLY good!   It was quick to make and was something which I would make again! I served this with a simple salad.  It was fairly low in carbs, high in protein and delicious.



Bon Appetit!



Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!