Bean, Corn and Couscous Salad

Wednesday 1 June 2016

 photo DSCN7260_zps7riecclr.jpg

Welcome June!  I love June, its one of the nicest months of the year.  The gardens are at their best, bursting out all over with bloom on every bush.  We tend to have more sunny days than rainy days, and our BBQ goes into over-use!  Salad days.  And this is a salad that we both really love!

 photo DSCN7261_zps9dsqhxkm.jpg

Its great off-season as you can use frozen veg and they work perfectly well, and its great on-season when fresh veg is at their best.   Not much fresh veg here, yet, but  plenty of good frozen corn, peas and broadbeans.

 photo DSCN7262_zpsxz4tk7wf.jpg

All blanched quickly so they maintain all of their colour and crisp freshness.   I think broadbeans are what is called lima beans in North America.  You will find them ever so much more palatable if you slip off the tough outer skins.

  photo DSCN7263_zpshp4xt0ln.jpg

Its a bit of a faff, but so worth it, both in flavour and texture . . . not to mention colour!  So brilliantly green!  There is also a nice bit of fresh mint in the salad.  Mine is going crazy at the moment. Oh, I do love fresh mint!  It shines in this lovely salad.

 photo DSCN7264_zpsff6apkr1.jpg

Just look at all of those beautiful colours!  The dressing is a delicious one . . .  flavoured with white balsamic,  lemon and Dijon mustard with a smattering of garlic and some shallots.

Altogether this is a very fine salad indeed.

  photo DSCN72601_zpsfyd5wsfo.jpg


*Bean, Corn and Couscous Salad*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe  

 
Quite simply a delicious salad of corn, beans, broad beans, peas and Israeli couscous with a fresh Mint Vinaigrette Dressing!


For the salad:
115g of Israeli Couscous, uncooked (2/3 cup)
1/2 pound green haricot beans, trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces
150g of frozen petit pois (1 cup)
150g of frozen broad beans( 1 cup)
145g of frozen sweet corn (1 cup)
3 TBS chopped fresh mint
salt and black pepper
Rocket to serve (optional)
For the dressing:
60ml extra virgin olive oil (1/4 cup)
2 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 TBS white balsamic vinegar
1 shallot, peeled and minced
1 small clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp Dijon mustard


 photo DSCN7270_zps8pzb40jv.jpg



Bring a pot of salted water to the boil.  blanch the beans, peas, broad beans and corn for two minutes.  Drain well.  Rinse with cold water and drain again.  Slip the tough outer skin from the broad beans discard.  (If you have chickens, give the skins to them.  They love them!)

 photo DSCN7271_zpspo1twixc.jpg


Place into a salad bowl.   Cook the couscous according to the package directions.  Drain well, rinse with cold water and drain again.  Tip into the bowl with the vegetables.   Toss in the mint and salt and pepper to taste.


Whisk together the dressing ingredients.  Pour this dressing over the salad, Toss to coat.  (You may not need it all).

 photo DSCN7272_zpsfdezpikw.jpg

Spoon the salad out onto fresh rocket leaves to serve.  (optional)

 photo DSCN7273_zpsbm3vilr9.jpg

Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. I only recently tried Israeli Couscous. Don't know what took me so long. I love everything in this recipe, so I have pinned it to try later. Broad beans are not readily available here, although I love them. May try substituting another bean when I can't get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Israeli Couscous Emma! You could probably use just about any bean! Haricot, lima, cannelini, etc. Hope you enjoy it! xo

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of the pearl couscous and this was a great way to serve it. It's such an easy salad to put together, but looks so pretty and appetising. I always think that you start eating with your eyes first. The dressing was lovely - I really like mint and it was perfect here. And timely because my mint has just started to bush up nicely.

    We ate this with pan fried fish and it was very tasty. I also did use rocket as per your serving suggestion as we love that nice, peppery taste. Another one destined to be made again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this salad Marie and I am so pleased that you tried it! It would go beautifully with fish. Oh, I am missing my herb garden. It is a bit too late for me to start one here, but I may get myself a raised planter and grow one next year! You really do make me happy by trying these older recipes and sharing your experiences with us. I thank you for that! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!