Peanut Butter Blossoms

Monday 14 March 2016

 photo DSCN5307_zpsqosnhmin.jpg

This is a cookie I used to make for my kiddos quite often when they were growing up and who wouldn't love them?   A tasty peanut butter cookie, topped with a milk chocolate candy kiss as soon as they come out from the oven.  Peanut butter and milk chocolate  . . .  a marriage made in heavenly bliss!

 photo DSCN5308_zpssfyfruv5.jpg

\I was so excited when I found some milk chocolate candy kisses at the B&M store a few weeks back. The first thing I thought of when I saw them was these cookies.  I may not have any children in my home anymore or any grandkids near enough to spoil, but I did know some Missionaries who are far away from home that would really appreciate these!

  photo DSCN5309_zpshkx3bpiz.jpg

 And so I baked a batch for them . . .  and for nostalgia's sake . . . because they reminded me a lot of the years my children were growing up, and all those happy memories of them coming home from school to a freshly baked plate of these . . .

 photo DSCN5310_zpsb2yhmcyf.jpg

 And I confess  . . .  this big kid had one as well . . . even though I know I shouldn't have, but it sure tasted some good and I was immediately happy that I was giving them away because I knew I would not be able to keep my hands out of the cookie jar if I wasn't . . .  so I have to warn you if you don't want to be eating these  . . . then don't be baking these.

  photo DSCN5311_zpsvvj2ghvw.jpg

 You will be finding them quite impossible to resist eating.  And we don't want that happening.  Only bake them if you can be giving them away . . .  after a little taste test of course!  Always tasty.  Always welcome.  Just plain delicious.  Peanut Butter Blossoms.  For the inner child in each of us.

 photo DSCN5312_zpsx3plhix9.jpg


*Peanut Blossoms*
Makes 48
Printable Recipe 

 
A sweet Peanut Butter cookie with a milk chocolate candy pushed into the centre as soon as it comes out of the oven. Delicious.  Don't think you can't make these if you can't get Chocolate kisses.  I have made these with milk chocolate buttons or sliced snickers bars, etc.  All are tasty!


245g of plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
110g of soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
95g of white sugar (1/2 cup)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
110g of white vegetable shortening (1/2 cup)
90g of smooth peanut butter (1/2 cup)
2 TBS milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 medium free range egg
Sugar to roll
48 milk chocolate candy buttons or kisses 

 
 photo DSCN5314_zpsf1ypybjj.jpg

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Line a couple of baking sheets with paper. Set aside.


Cream together the sugars, shortening and peanut butter.  Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla.   Sift together the soda, salt and flour.  Stir into the creamed mixture until well combined.  Shape into 1 inch balls.  Put some white sugar in a bowl and roll the peanut butter cookie balls in this to coat.  Place onto the baking sheets, leaving space between each for spreading, about 2 1/2 inches.


Bake in the heated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and immediately press a chocolate candy into the centre.  Place onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

 photo DSCN5316_zpssqvyycxj.jpg

Note - these do freeze well.  Just sayin'  Oh and if you can't find any milk chocolate kisses a single rolo in each one, or a half a tiny snickers bar, etc. can all be pushed into the middle.   All are scrumptious!

4 comments

  1. I have made these..always a treat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't have treats in the house anymore Monique. Sadly I am not to be trusted around them! NO willpower whatsoever. Sigh . . . xo

      Delete
  2. I make these almost every Christmas. So delicious! Brach's chocolate stars can also be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Lorraine, and in Canada I have used Maple Buds! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!