Baked Denver Omelette

Monday 28 March 2016

 photo DSCN6133_zps2awgyvre.jpg

I think I have really been overdoing it on the carb front lately and so I took advantage of us having leftover ham in the house and lots of eggs to make us a delicious Baked Denver Omelette for our supper tonight.  Not only was it quick and easy to make, but it is also relatively low in fat and pretty healthy all round!

  photo DSCN6134_zpsb0bakk3l.jpg

The recipe is adapted to one I found on Taste of Home and uses everything I have normally got in the house.  You could use canned ham in a pinch or even chopped ham steaks, or if you wanted to make it completely vegetarian, you could just leave the ham out . . . but it's fab with the ham in.  Just sayin'

 photo DSCN6135_zpsby6v7wwf.jpg

I used Kerry Low Low cheddar cheese, to save on calories and fat there.  I also used semi skimmed milk and four kinds of peppers, chopped.  A small onion also . . .  and of course the eggs, which I got on special at the shops for 65p a dozen yesterday.  I know!  And they are free range RSPCA approved!  Score!

  photo DSCN6136_zpsrtymldtt.jpg

It went together in a flash and was on the table before you could say Jack Rabbit.  I like that.

 photo DSCN6137_zps0o1bwu8i.jpg

A simple salad on the side and a slice of whole wheat toast for me . . .  two for Todd . . . plus I added hash browns to his . . .  and we were both very happy campers.  It went down a real treat for both of us and I liked that I was eating a bit healthier.

 photo DSCN6138_zpsxv1iswcp.jpg


*Baked Denver Omelette*
Serves 6

Inspired and adapted from a recipe from Taste of Home. 

1/2 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 large green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 large yellow bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 small brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tsp olive oil
1 heaped cup of chopped leftover cooked ham
8 large free range eggs, beaten
70ml of milk (1/3 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste
2 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
To serve:  (optional)
sliced avocado
chopped chives
hot sauce 


 photo DSCN6139_zpsowy88eej.jpg

Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Butter a 9 inch square baking dish.  Set aside.  (Can also spray with low fat cooking spray)


Add the oil to a skillet and heat.  Add the chopped vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until softened.  Remove from the heat.


Beat the eggs together with the milk and seasoning.


Scatter the ham in the bottom of the buttered baking dish.  Top with the cooked vegetables.  Sprinkle with the cheese.  Pour the milk and egg mixture over top.  Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until puffed and  nicely set. 

Cut and serve warm with sliced avocado,a sprinkling of chopped chives and a splash of hot sauce if desired.  Warm buttered toast is also nice.

 photo DSCN6141_zpszpwrk8ia.jpg

I didn't have any chives or avocado so I just chopped up some spring onion and splashed on some hot sauce.  Yum!  T'was very, very good.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. my lovely teacher of cooking ,I always read your posts every morning for years now and I enjoy them all the explaining ,the pictures and of cours the recipes . I have read your post about falafel it is great and tasty but I don't know why all sites and blogs show the recipe if Lebanon.I'll tell you a small secret the original recipe is egyptian and in Egypt we don't use the chickpeas ,never ever,we use the dried fava beans and let me tell you it's heaven I can't stop eating those little yummy balls . just try them next time with soaked fava beans,fry them and enjoy. love you Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello My Little Rose! I have never heard of using dried fava beans, but now you have mentioned I am going to try using them! Thank you so much! Also thanks for your kind words re my blog. It is a labour of love for me! xo

      Delete
  2. You are a loely coooking teacher..this look lovely! And the combos you can make? So many..Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! It's really good and makes a nice light supper! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!