Coconut Toast

Saturday 20 February 2016

 photo DSCN5382_zpshobswyzv.jpg

 Usually at the weekend I try to do us some sort of breakfast treat . . .  something which is a bit out of the ordinary cereal that we have on weekday mornings.  We are not really heavy eaters so we never do the bacon and eggs thing for breakfast . . .  that's usually a dinner deal for us.  We do like pancakes, or french toast, muffins, cinnamon rolls, cinnamon toast . . . and when I saw this on Pinterest the other day . . .  Coconut Toast . . .  I knew that I wanted to make it.  It just sounded good, very good.

 photo DSCN5383_zpspqlzguf4.jpg


 The original recipe is on the Laugh With Us Blog.  I switched it out a bit I do confess.  I used grated coconut, unsweetened because I didn't think that with all the sugar used in the original recipe you needed more sugar in your coconut, and I had organic grated coconut in my cupboard.

 photo DSCN5391_zps4yjkorjd.jpg

I also did not melt the butter.  I used softened butter instead . . .  so it would be more spreadable and that worked great.  

  photo DSCN5385_zps0ibob7fd.jpg

I used brown sugar instead of white, for more of a caramel flavour . . .  and I added some coconut extract to really get the coconut flavour in there.

 photo DSCN5384_zpsqroad4qp.jpg

I used a rustic bread . . .  a campagne loaf which had lovely little tunnels in it and the butter and sugar seeped a bit through and caramelized a bit.  Scrummo!

  photo DSCN5386_zpsgdyg9qqb.jpg

Altogether it was very scrumptious . . .  very scrumptious indeed.  Kind of like a coconut macaroon topping on bread . . .  the only thing which would be better would be a thin layer of jam beneath the coconut layer, but I'll save that for another time . . .

 photo DSCN5393_zpsipwwll3y.jpg

For today . . .  this was great.  Just great.   Do use a sturdy bread.  Don't be tempted to use anything flimsy.  It needs to stand up to that topping.  Just sayin'  Enjoy!

  photo DSCN5388_zpsx8vbkzry.jpg

*Coconut Toast*
Makes 12 slices
Such a simple idea but so tasty.  You could add a thin layer of jam beneath the coconut topping if you wanted to.  I recommend strawberry or raspberry.

125g butter, softened (1/2 cup)
150g soft light brown sugar (1 cup, unpacked)
80g shredded unsweetened coconut (1 cup)
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1  beaten egg
12 slices of sturdy white bread 


 photo DSCN5392_zpsiuvpb8ur.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Have ready a large baking sheet.


Mix together the butter, brown sugar, coconut, extract and egg.  Spread onto the bread, dividing it equally amongst the slices.  Place them onto the baking sheet.  Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly toasted and golden brown.  Allow to stand for a bit before eating as it is very hot.  Take care.  Delicious!

 photo DSCN5394_zpswdcaz4xz.jpg

Bon Appetit!  Happy weekend!

8 comments

  1. I think a layer of Nutella would be lovely beneath the coconut layer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh boy . . would it ever! Thanks for the inspiration Lynn! xo

      Delete
  2. What a sweet little treat:)
    Lynn may have a point too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't she just Monique! And I just had another thought . . . Biscoff Spread! Sigh . . .

      Delete
  3. Mmmmm, mmmmmm! I've never heard of coconut toast but it sure looks good. I think my 3 year old babies would love it. Thanks for posting this Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious Marie. Do you eat this out of hand like your regular slice of breakfast toast? Or, do you drizzle it with maple syrup like you would french toast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You eat this out of hand like you would cinnamon toast or regular toast Noelle! Hope you feel better soon, xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!