Tuna Salad Tartines

Monday 8 September 2014

 photo SAM_6886_zps1a6274b1.jpg

Don't think I'm getting all hoity toity on you now . . .  this really is just a glorified open faced tuna sarnie!   But Tartine sounds very special doesn't it?  Okay so maybe it is a bit hoity toity . . .  but sometimes it's okay to expand your horizons a tad.  That's my story anyways and yes, I'm sticking to it!


 photo SAM_6887_zpsf869484c.jpg

Actually I saw something very similar to this in one of my cookbooks, which for the life of me I can't remember which one.  But I do remember thinking that sounds mighty tasty and I'm going to make it one day . . .

  photo SAM_6888_zps989f9023.jpg

But you know how that goes . . .  you get in what you think are all the ingredients you are going to need . . .  capers and a good olive loaf being the key ones here . . .  and then you can't find the darned recipe!  I do this to myself so often.

 photo SAM_6889_zpsed08776b.jpg

So what I did was I knocked some up loosely based on what I could remember of the original one, so it's probably kinda close, but kinda not at the same time . . .

  photo SAM_6890_zps9243d26a.jpg

Which doesn't really matter either, coz  . . .  it's kinda REALLY good!  And ultimately that's what counts most of all.

 photo SAM_6893_zps8ad38e2f.jpg

Food wot not only looks good, but wot tastes good as well.   Why quibble over something supercilious as a name . . .  tartine . . .  sarnie . . . sandwich.  You only need to remember two words.

Tasty Tasty. 

'Nuff said.  So what if it's the same word twice spoken.

  photo SAM_6892_zpsb62d38cd.jpg

*Tuna Salad Tartines*
Makes 4

A tartine is just a fancy name for an open faced sandwich.  I like to use a hearty black olive bread for this, but you can use sour dough, or whatever you have to hand.  Todd likes his on plain old store bought white bread.  (BORING!)  

1 (185g) tin of albacore tuna, drained (6 ounce tin)
2 to 4 TBS good quality mayonnaise
1/4 of an English cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
2 TBS chopped fresh dill
2 TBS drained and rinsed non pareil capers
(If you only have the large ones, chop them finer)
1 TBS Dijon mustard
fine sea salt and black pepper to taste
4 slices of olive bread, lightly toasted
4 slices of ripe tomato
lettuce leaves  

 photo SAM_6897_zps5bf0d3f4.jpg  

Mix together the tuna, 2 TBs of the mayonnaise, cucumber, spring onions, dill, capers and mustard.   Season to taste with the salt and pepper.  If desired or if you think the mixture is a bit dry, stir in the remaning mayonnaise.    
 

Place some lettuce on the top of each slice of toasted olive bread.   Top with a portion of the tuna salad.   Place a slice of tomato on top and serve.  Delicious!

1 comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!