Raisin Puff

Saturday 9 November 2013



 photo SDC16458_zps261b625f.jpg

If you don't like raisins, you best look away now because today is all about Raisins!  I just adore raisins.  I love eating them out of hand, baking them into cookies and cakes, pies . . . and tasty squares like these Raisin Puff ones here today.  

 photo SDC16462_zpscdbd3d0d.jpg

This is an old recipe that my ex mother in law gave to me about 34 or 35 years ago now. It was always my ex's favourite and one of my favourites too.  And, I'm happy to say . . . tis also a favourite of the Toddsters!  

 photo SDC16464_zps59acf371.jpg

I think I get my love of everything raisin from my father.  He adored raisin pie.  I think to this day it is one of his favourite pies.  I wish I lived close enough to him to be able to make one for him now.  I used to make him one every now and again when I did live closer.  

 photo SDC16463_zps18918ac4.jpg

I can 't remember if my mom likes raisin pie or not, but I know my sister does.  We were talking about it just today and then I remembered these tasty bars and thought I would share them with you, because I just no that whilst there may be some raisin haters  amongst you, there are sure to also be some raisin lovers just like me!  

 photo SDC16459_zpsc92605a7.jpg

These are so easy to make.  You simply make a cooked filling and then bake it in a square pan between two sheets of pastry.  I like to brush the top with a bit of milk and dust with some Turbinado sugar for a bit of sweet crunch.  

 photo SDC16460_zpsa41531df.jpg

I do hope that you will bake them and that when you do you come back to tell me just how much you loved them!  Now, that would make me very happy indeed!    These are also great cut up, wrapped rightly and stogged into lunch boxes!

 photo RaisinPuff_zps9ec548ce.jpg    



*Raisin Puff*
makes one 8 inch square pan, about 12 squares
Printable Recipe

Another gem from my big blue binder.  Crisp pastry filled with a lovely raisin filling, brushed with milk and glazed with sugar. Delicious.

For the filling:
200g of soft light brown sugar (1 cup packed)
3 TBS cornflour
300g of raisins (2 cups)
295 ml cold water (1 1/4 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of lemon extract

To finish:
Shortcrust pastry enough for two layers
to fit in an 8 inch square pan
milk
demerara sugar to sprinkle (turbinado sugar)


 photo SDC16461_zpsd58623b9.jpg


First make the filling.  Whisk together the brown sugar and cornflour in a saucepan.  Stir in the water and raisins.  Bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Cook for one minute after it boils, stirring, until you have a thick and glossy mixture.  Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and lemon extracts.  Set aside to cool completely.

Preheat the oven to 230*C/450*F/ gas mark 8.  Roll out half of the pastry our large enough to line an  8 inch square pan.  Top with the raisin filling.  Roll the remaining pastry large enough to to fit over the top.  Place on top of the raisins.  Seal the edges.  Brush with milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.

Place in the heated oven to bake.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce the temperature to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Bake for a further 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and cooked top and bottom, and lightly browned.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares to serve.

11 comments

  1. Yum! My nana made something like this which I loved until my brother put me off them by calling them "Squashed Fly Biscuits". I could not eat things with sultanas, currants or raisins in them for years afterwards! Aren't brothers terrible?

    Fortunately I've overcome that and as luck would have it, I stocked up on raisins in readiness for glögg season and baking of saffron rolls. I might try this tomorrow for The Swede's afternoon tea. He loved the marbled spice crumble cake last week, so I'm sure this would also appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh boy I love raisin pie so these are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this would be good using dried cranberries as well? Hmm, might have to give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, we have biscuits here called squashed fly biscuits as well. I forget what the proper name is, too early inthe morning!

    Monique and Laurie I do hope you will make them!

    DaDad, I am not sure how that would work, but if you do try it out, let me know! I'd be interested in hearing how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter makes something like this from here: http://www.marthastewart.com/326925/raisin-pie
    I will share your recipe with her because the shortcrust pastry with it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love raisins. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word.... my Aunt Olive used to make these and so in turn did my mum, with Ollie's recipe. They used a cookie sheet to bake them so it turned out a long thin slice, and they were as delicious a treat as we could ever wish for. I had forgotten them. Having you post this was "gift for today". Time to dust off my apron. Thanks Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of one of my recipes being a "Gift" Noelle! You made me smile. Love you very much. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Can you post the shortcut pastry that you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find a recipe for shortcrust pastry at the bottom of the page: https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/2019/03/bakewell-slices.html

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!