Nectarine Salad with a Strawberry Balsamic Dressing

Friday 12 July 2013

  

  photo SAM_7284_zpsed7d7169.jpg    


 It's hard to believe that it's Friday already and we have had one glorious week of beautifully sunny and warm weather.  My salad loving heart has been having a hay day!  

 photo SAM_7286_zps198ad9dd.jpg  


I had a few ripe white nectarines in the fridge today that needed to be eaten pronto and with all of this gorgeous weather my strawberries are ripening in spades!  I wanted something for supper that I could use both in . . . and I didn't want it to be a dessert.  

 photo SAM_7287_zpsc9d907c5.jpg  


I remembered a salad I had made a very long time ago using fruit, ham and Gruyere cheese.  It is far too hot to cook at the moment so I thought I would try to recreate something similar to that salad, using the nectarines . . . and creating a strawberry balsamic dressing to drizzle over it.  

 photo SAM_7288_zpsc290c479.jpg  


Strawberries and balsamic vinegar go so well with each other.   They go together  like rama rama lama ka dinga da dinga dong!  (Don't you just love Grease?)   And so I took two heads of baby gem lettuces . . . with their slightly bitter edge, a red leaf and a green leaf . . . and tore them into a bowl.   On top went the nectarines and a scattering of torn ham . . .   

 photo SAM_7289_zpsff1507a5.jpg  


Sprinkled with toasted walnuts (Do toast them, the flavour is so much nuttier!) and a smattering of crumbled salty and tangy feta cheese, it went down a real treat.   Not boring at all, and that dressing   ♥♥♥  Love.  Sigh.  

 photo SAM_7290_zps2c616b93.jpg  


Well . . . I could just eat that . . . with a spoon, drizzled over ice cream even . . . seriously.  Now THAT would be very good too . . .

  photo SAM_7285_zps239d346b.jpg  


*Nectarine Salad with a Strawberry Balsamic Dressing*
Serves 4    
Refreshingly different.  If you can get white nectarines use them. I think they are much sweeter than the yellow ones.  The dressing is a pleasant mix of sweet and sour with a bit of a bite.

For the Dressing:
125ml olive oil (1/2 cup)
a handful of ripe strawberries sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 TBS balsamic vinegar (good quality please!)
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 TBS runny honey
For the Salad:
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 baby gems, separated into leaves, washed and spun dry
(I used a mixture of red baby gems and green)
2 ripe nectarines
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
a few slices baked ham, torn into bits (optional)


Put the dressing ingredients into a small food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth and emulsified.  Set aside.

Tear your lettuce into a large bowl.  Cut the nectarines in half, discard the pits and then slice into wedges.  Scatter over top of the lettuce.  Tear the ham and scatter it over top.  Drizzle with some of the dressing.  Sprinkle the feta cheese and toasted walnuts over all.   Serve immediately and pass the extra dressing at the table.

2 comments

  1. What a beautiful salad!! I LOVE the use of nectarines - so glad you're having good weather at last!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colourful sight.
    I can't wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!