Courgette and Cheese Bake

Tuesday 9 July 2013

 photo SAM_6949_zps00c36700.jpg    


I love summer.   Our garden is filled to overflowing with fresh produce and fruit.  It's one of my favourite times of the year.  I know . . . I know . . . I say that all year round.  I guess I just love food, no matter what time of year it is . . . but in the summer when it is fresh, it's even better! 


 photo SAM_6973_zpsb01d5ce0.jpg


There are a few things that have a tendency to come on in a glut though . . . like courgettes and tomatoes.  It's a bit early for the tomatoes just yet . . . but the courgettes are coming on fabulously!

 photo SAM_6952_zps6f4c5839.jpg

It helps to have delicious recipes like this one here today to help keep things from getting boring.  I mean who wouldn't like a tasty casserole which bakes like a pudding . . . but a savoury pudding . . . topped with the buttery crunch of crisp croutons.

 photo SAM_6963_zps49164266.jpg

A deliciously savoury pudding chock full of lovely green courgettes, garlic, onions and cheese.  Yep.   Two kinds.    A rich strong cheddar and a punchy Monterrey Jack . . . use the peppered one if you are feeling especially up to it . . .

 photo SAM_6972_zps24645381.jpg

Oh, and there are green chilies in it too . . . just for an added kick.  I guarantee  nobody is going to be bored with this one . . . trust me on this.


  photo SAM_6953_zpscc77ce60.jpg  


*Courgette and Cheese Bake*
Serves 5 to 6
This is a fabulous way to use up the glut of courgettes which should be appearing in the gardens about now.


4 medium courgettes
(wash, trim and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices)
3 medium free range eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
 2 TBS flour
 small handful flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
1 small  clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium  onion, finely chopped
2 green jalapeno chilies, trimmed, seeded and chopped
1 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
1 1/2  cup seasoned croutons
 2 TBS butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a shallow 1 litre casserole.   Set aside.
Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, baking powder and flour until smooth.  Toss the courgettes together with the parsley, garlic, onion, chopped chilies and cheese  in a bowl.  Pour the egg mixture over all and stir to combine.  Pour this mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Combine the melted butter and croutons.  Sprinkle these over top of the casserole, spreading them out evenly.  Bake, uncovered in the heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and set in the middle.  Let stand for ten minutes before serving.  Delicious!

1 comment

  1. I love zucchini, and know first hand that you have to be prepared as it's prolific in the garden. There's a great recipe I read about in the NY Times, for a Turkish type dish that calls for roasted eggplant, one summer I decided to substitute zucchini and it was wonderful. The only thing was I had to salt the large pieces of zucchini, and let it drain on paper towels, to draw out the extra moisture so it would roast up without turning to mush.

    This sounds lovely. My family loved the baked cauliflower and cheese recipe you posted a while back. I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!