Pasta with Courgettes, Tomatoes & Lemon Cream

Tuesday 11 June 2013

  photo SAM_6497_zps9fcf6151.jpg 

I had bought the Toddster a smoked Haddock and Prawn Pie for him to have for supper one night while I was away in Canada.  He forgot all about it, which really worked out quite well actually as it gave me a chance to indulge myself with some pasta tonight when I heated it up for him!  Win/win!
I love it when that happens. 


 photo SAM_6498_zpse584b1b4.jpg 

I really love pasta and I need to indulge myself every once in a while.  Todd will eat it if pressed, but if I don't have to feed it to him, he's quite happy with something else. 

  photo SAM_6499_zpsadaa7b0b.jpg

Today I cooked myself a fresh and tasty and light pasta dish, filled with lovely crispy tender pieces of courgettes . . . just gently sauteed . . . and sweet cherry tomatoes, again just wilted . . . with a delicious and creamy sauce that was low fat.

 photo SAM_6501_zpsd6f27457.jpg

Yes, you hear that right.  This rich and creamy looking sauce is quite low fat.   Amazingly there are only three ingredients . . . freshly grated lemon zest . . . and a bit of the pasta cooking water.   It tastes fabulous and complicated, and yet . . . tis so simple!

 photo SAM_6506_zps42c3f25f.jpg

I love it when that happens.   Don't you?  Coz . . . I am rather lazy, and I am always watching my waist line . . .or at least trying to at any rate!

 photo SAM_6507_zpsa8ba171a.jpg

This feels and tastes utterly indulgent, and yet . . . it's not!   Yay!!  Scrumdiddlyumptiously low fat delish!
  photo SAM_6512_zps8371af34.jpg
*Pasta with Courgettes, Tomatoes and Lemon Cream*
Serves 4
This recipe serves four but is very easily reduced to feed less if you wish.  Low in fat and high in vitamins.  Who knew low fat could be so delicious!
8 ounces of whole wheat spaghetti
125ml of low fat Greek Yoghurt (1/4 cup)
50g of finely grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 TBS olive oil
3 medium courgettes, cut into thin ribbons,
each about 3 inches long and 1/4 inch thick
2 tsp garlic paste
1 small punnet of cherry tomatoes, halved (about 1 cup)
Freshly grated Parmesan for topping finished dish,if desired

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil.   Add the spaghetti and cook al dente, according to the package directions. 

Whisk together the yoghurt, cheese and lemon zest.  Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet.   Add the courgette ribbons and cook, gently stirring occasionally until they are just wilted.  Push to one side and add the garlic.  As soon as you can smell it, add the tomatoes and cook , stirring for several minutes, just until they begin to soften.  Mix together with the courgettes.  Stir in the yoghurt mixture.  Drain the pasta, reserving several tablespoons of the cooking liquid.  Add the drained pasta to the pan with the courgettes and tomatoes. Toss gently to combine.  Add the pasta liquid a tablespoon at a time, if necessary to thin the sauce to your desired consistency.  Season to taste.  Divide amongst four heated pasta bowls.  Top with some freshly grated Parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately.

5 comments

  1. This looks absolutely divine Marie! I am a huge pasta fan and it is always great to get new ideas. Tonight I am having pasta with fresh crab meat, lemon and chilli but will definitely be trying this recipe very soon. Thanks and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this:) Soon..very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gone in my pinterest scrapbook for later - thank you muchly! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo delicious - love that you used yoghurt!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love pasta in this house and with a few days of warm weather I was looking for something light and summery to serve for dinner. And this was it! It was creamy, satisfying and delicious. It tasted rich, even though it was yoghurt rather than cream in the sauce. I added a touch of chilli flakes as we like that in pasta. This is a quick, easy but impressive dish to make for summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!