Chocolate Covered Raisin and Oat Bars

Sunday 9 June 2013



 I have always loved chocolate covered raisins.  It has been ever so . . . I can remember going to the movies when I was a girl and a box of Glossettes raisins would be my choice for a treat.  Not the chocolate covered peanuts, or any other kind of chocolate bar . . . but a nice box of Glossettes raisins.

  photo SAM_6427_zps89259b5c.jpg

I haven't had a box of those in years.  These days I get myself the Belgian Chocolate covered raisins at M&S . . .  a step up from the lowly Glossettes, but I can't help thinking of those childhood treats and the films I watched every time I pop one into my mouth . . .

 photo SAM_6425_zpsc3644da2.jpg

I picked up a bag at the garden centre the other day.  They were not Glossettes.  They were not covered in Belgian Chocolate.   They tasted powdery and ucky.   Not good.   I am afraid I am a chocolate covered raisin snob!

 photo SAM_6426_zps8c710f8f.jpg

I was into M&S yesterday and I couldn't resist picking up several bags of the Belgian Chocolate covered ones, sorta to make up for the yukky ones I'd had from the garden centre . . . one bag for eating out of hand and the other one for making these delicious bars.

  photo SAM_6428_zps392adb15.jpg

Think of your favourite oatmeal cookie, except in bar form . . . buttery and filled with wholesome oats . . .  stogged full of chocolate covered raisins and semi sweet chocolate chips.  If chocolate covered raisins are not your thing, you can just use more chocolate chips, or even some milk chocolate chips instead!
Some toasted and chopped walnuts wouldn't go amiss either.  I didn't have any when I made these the other day . . . but they are rather scrummy with this nutty addition!

 photo SAM_6429_zpsa830f017.jpg

IN any case, these are mighty tasty bars . . . and I know the butter kind of takes away from the health aspect of using good old oats in them . . . and the chocolate covering the raisins kind of takes away from the health properties of them too . . .

 photo SAM_6433_zps4b906f93.jpg

Once in a while though you need to feed your inner child . . . your soul.   A treat now and then never did anyone any harm.  ☺

 photo SAM_6424_zpsd1e46b2f.jpg
*Oat and Chocolate Raisin Blondies*
Makes 24
Rich and chewy.   Moreishly delish!

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups soft light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp baking soda, dissolved
 in 1/4 cup boiling water
2 cups plain flour
2 cups oatmeal (not the quick oats)
1 cup of Belgian chocolate covered raisins
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Line a 9 by 13 inch pan with foil, leaving an overhang to lift the bars out with when baked.  Butter the foil.

Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.   Beat in the vanilla, lemon and eggs.  Beat in the soda water. This will look curdled, but don't worry.   Whisk together the flour and oats and add.  Mix in thoroughly.  Stir in the raisins and chocolate chips.  Spread the mixture into the prepared pan, leveling it off as best you can.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until set, glossy on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Don't over-bake if you can help it.  Delicious!

3 comments

  1. These look really delicious dear Marie, have a nice day tomorrow!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love those..I think they were called Glossetes here..could be wrong..when I was a young girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate covered raisins too! The other day I had some melted Belgian chocolate left from a batch of cake pops and I decided to make my own chocolate covered raisins. I used a tiny chocolate mould and they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!