Pork Chops with an Apple, Red Onion & Walnut Sauce

Wednesday 23 January 2013

   photo SAM_4305_zps7d8cea93.jpg

We were in town the other day and I popped into the Little Waitrose they have there.   I sure miss Waitrose.   I used to do most of my shopping there when we lived down South.   Their meat and produce was always excellent.   I found some excellent looking organic free range pork chops that were on their sell by date and so I got a good bargain.   I froze them when I got home and then,  yesterday,  I thawed them out and we had them for supper.

 photo SAM_4306_zps8bd075cf.jpg

We don't eat pork very often . . . actually we don't eat any red meat very often . . . usually it is fish or chicken or no meat at all . . . but the Toddster, he does enjoy a good chop once in a while.

 photo SAM_4308_zps783b24dc.jpg

My mother always way over-cooked her pork when I was growing up.   Seriously.   You could have used her chops to shingle a roof.   I think there was a lot of fear as well as danger in those days of people getting trichinosis from under-cooked pork.

 photo SAM_4309_zpsc6446c52.jpg

You can cook pork well enough without drying it out and over-cooking it though.   There is a fine line between cooked through and cremated!   I don't care who you are . . . an over cooked pork chop is just not very tasty or appealing.  I find if you cook it so long as the meat which is closest to the bone runs with clear juices when pricked . . . then it's done!  And indeed you can cook the tenderloin only until it is a little pink and you will be safe.   Any longer and it's blah . . . YUCKO!

 photo SAM_4310_zps2de621bb.jpg

Today I pan fried my chops, finishing them off in a hot oven for a few minutes while I created a delicious sauce to serve over top . . . of red apples and onions, sage, walnuts and cider vinegar.   Beautiful.   It's not a sauce in the sense of a gravy . . . but more like a relish.

  photo SAM_4311_zps965a2edc.jpg

Pork and apples are perfect partners . . . add some sage, onion and walnuts, and you have something very special indeed. Tasty and colorful with just a bit of crunch from the walnuts.  The men in your life will thank you for these!

  photo SAM_4316_zpse83572e7.jpg

I paired this up with Tatties and Neeps . . .  Basically that is just  mashed potatoes and Swede . . . but doesn't the other name sound more delicious and intriguing??   I know, how could you not love something called Tatties and Neeps???   It's quite impossible.   And it just goes so well with pork.   It really does.

Enjoy.

  photo SAM_4307_zpse78e4d44.jpg

*Pork Chops with an Apple, Red Onion & Walnut Sauce*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Tender pork chops served with a chunky apple, red onion and walnut sauce.  Delicious.   I like to serve this with mashed potatoes and Swede, or Tatties and Neeps as it is known over here!

4 bone in, thick pork chops
1 TBS butter
freeze dried sage, sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste

For the Sauce:
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter
2 large red-skinned dessert apples, cored and cut into wedges
2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
50g of walnut pieces, toasted (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp freeze dried sage leaves
2 TBS organic Cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7.   Have ready a shallow baking dish.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to foam.   Sprinkle the chops to taste on both sides with salt, pepper and sage.   Brown them generously, for about 3 to 4 minutes per side.   Remove them from the skillet to the baking dish and bang them into the oven while you make the sauce.

To make the sauce.  Add the olive oil and butter to the pan drippings.   Add the apples and onions.  Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or just until they are beginning to soften.   Add the sage leaves, walnuts and cider vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes more.  Remove from the heat.  Season to taste.

Make sure the juices of the chops are running clear.  Once they are done, plate them up onto heated serving plates, spoon an equal portion of the sauce over each and serve immediately.

6 comments

  1. Hi, just found your blog, I can see I have a lot of catching up to do - nice recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds lovely Marie, I cooked us chops the other night and I just popped some apple and onion in near the end of cooking, the juices from the apple and onion mixed with the meat juices so well, I will follow yur recipe next time for sure.Have a wonderful day Marie,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your lovely blog today when I was looking for a Bakewell tart recipe.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Wean and Cozy! Welcome!

    Laurie, these pork chops were really tasty, but I am sure yours were as well!! You're what we would call back home, a good cooker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not all dishes that taste great look great, but here's one that really looks amazing. I love the colours, Marie. I'm going to try this one.

    Piggy Fair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie:
    More great recipes I see - I shall be printing out several today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!